Sunday, 15 April 2012

Dinner party success!

Amazing dinner last night (if I do say so myself). Used a spring menu from Martha (http://www.marthastewart.com/859119/spring-menus/%40center/276961/dinner-party-ideas#/195971) and it all turned out pretty well considering our oven has no degrees on it just numbers from 1-9. And I had to rush off to the store in the morning to purchase last minute things like cake pans and a casserole dish. The potato galette was a little under done but will be great chopped up today with the other left overs and put into a quiche. The cake was amazing. A-Mazing. Meringue instead of icing is a revelation: way less sugar and fat and looks fun and interesting. I made the cake from scratch too. Screw you Betty Crocker and your easy mix cakes. I need you not. But I might still need your whipped chocolate icing every once in a while...yum. It was hard to find ham here as they are prepared and sold differently than they are in Canada. What I got from the butcher yesterday (in Laurel Lodge- love that guy! So friendly and knows his trade) looked like a thick slice out of a ham. Skin on, salted and nitrated etc but not cooked. So I googled how to cook Irish ham and took a bash at it. Boiled for 30 minutes before putting the jam/Dijon stickiness on and popping into the oven. It turned out well and tasted just like normal ham... so I get a gold star right? I went to great lengths to find radishes for the peas and after all that trouble of finding and slicing and dicing I forgot to add them. Loser. Oh well. Anyways we kept our poor guests way too late (they live downtown) but made up for it by sending half the cake home with them. They don't have kids yet so they can sleep in. Enjoy it while you can.

Anyways, I didn't get any photos of the food last night since I was busy cooking and entertaining and mommying all at once. So here is a shot of breakfast this morning instead. It was so good Will ate all of his...and then he came after mine.

French toast with custard, bananas and raspberries


No comments:

Post a Comment