Sunday, 17 June 2012

Father's Day Bus trip to Wicklow

We had a lovely day. Will was as good as gold on the bus and even got a good snooze in between stops. Today was Father's Day...which neither Craig nor I realised. Let me clarify: I didn't forget...I thought it was yesterday. I even made a fun craft with Will to give to Craig and had planned a large breakfast of the kind usually appreciated by fathers everywhere (omlette with bacon). He got all these goodies one day early because I'm apparently incapable of reading my schedule off my phone.

Anyways, the bus trip was lovely. I was so happy to escape from suburbia for a little while. And we even got some sun!!!!! Yes 5 exclamation points...totally justified: last week it rained twice: once for 3 days and once for 4 days. We drove through the county of Wicklow which has lots of interesting history and has more recent use as a setting for many Hollywood movies (Braveheart, PS I Love You, Michael Collins to name a few). I have wanted to see Glendalough for years (no surprise that I have also been mispronouncing it for just as long) and the Avoca handweaving shop has made me curious since we moved here. Lots of photos today. Enjoy!

PS I love you to all the Daddies









The bridge where the lead characters met in PS I Love You

water run off from the bog lands



William playing with the tall grass


Guiness Lake in the Wicklow hills. Bog water makes it brown imported French sand makes the head.
 

Gatehouse of Glendalough                                          headstone






 
The tower.




view towards the lakes with sunlight





The old church

holes for the door and locks





The nave



Lichen on a headstone


Lower lake of Glendalough

This building has a 1000 year old pitched and corbelled roof. Amazing that it has lasted.


Shamrock relief on headstone

The deal is if you can reach around this cross backwards you can have a wish granted


I couldn't reach

neither could Will





They make all these gorgeous textiles here

Victorian Loom that Will was NOT interested in.

All the different types of sheeps wool they use


This weaver kept up a rhythm that would have had me knackered in about 2 minutes.










Avoca blankets. Beautiful and warm.
"Captain" Dermot let William have command of the helm for a few minutes. Totally made his day

They offered him a job on the spot
















No comments:

Post a Comment