Monday, 8 October 2012
I'm grateful for Advil, Benalyn, vitamin C and a cosy bed to sleep in
So we went shopping yesterday for our Irish Thanksgiving feast and had quite the time convincing the butcher I wanted the whole turkey. When I asked for one he had quite the shocked face on: "What, the whole turkey?". I should have said "Well you can keep the feet if you want!". His eyebrows wouldn't have gone any higher if I'd asked for the whole cow. His assistant was immediately set the task of calling their suppliers and asking if anyone had a turkey. Now, most of these little butcher shops source directly from farmers and small abattoirs so I couldn't help thinking there was this happy turkey running around someone's farm thinking it got away with Thanksgiving this year and meanwhile the farmer is on the phone with this bloke I'm talking to. Anyways , no turkey for us but I found a great, big, stuffed pork roast and I will still make all the side dishes. The stuffing is going to have white pudding in it instead of sausage though so we can have a local touch. The butcher's assistant did say they'll have some turkey legs in today so I might just walk down there later and get some. Of course it will depend on how we are feeling as in traditional Caroline Thanksgiving day fashion William and I are both sick. I can just imagine two turkey legs roasting alongside this lovely roast. Yum. No pumpkin pie though as the Irish pumpkin crops failed and I can't seem to get a hold of one. Boo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment