Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Feeling more at home

It has come as a bit of a shock to me but I seem to have recovered from my homesickness. The loneliness and has reached a tolerable level and I've become more able to deal with it as we settle in to daily life in Ireland. My expat friends all said that homesickness would peak at around the 6 week mark but none of them mentioned how long it would last. Moving here was a big change and it happened pretty quickly too so I may have taken a little longer than usual. I think this first year away will be the hardest because I will be thinking of all the seasonal activities we'd be doing back home: spring gardening, summer road trips and holidays with family. Our lifestyle is very different here than it was in Victoria as we are renting a house (instead of owning) have decided not to get a car so we will have to make new traditions. It bothers me SO MUCH that I can't paint or fix anything in this house. Our last house was a project we had only just finished before we moved and I now I have fixer-upper withdrawal. Don't even get me started on the curtains (who picks orange and navy patterned drapes anyways?). Some traditions will be carried on though. When I was a little girl I remember having these lovely homemade yoghurt popsicles crunchy and creamy at the same time. Yum. I couldn't find any popsicle molds at Tesco (maybe I've got a vocabulary problem?) so I improvised...and added Cheerios. William loved it. He ran around with it, making surprisingly little mess, for about an hour. 

Very simple idea: Remove yoghurt lid, add Cheerios (or whatever else you want) and insert popsicle stick (or baby spoon) into a cut you make in the lid, replace lid and freeze overnight. My lid wouldn't accommodate a hold large enough for the spoon to go through so I used parchment paper. Big hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment