Sunday, 4 March 2012

Sunny Sunday in Dublin

We took the train into town today to do a little shopping and soak up the sunshine. Our furnished rental house was lacking in the spatula department and I was tired of the results yielded by flipping fried eggs with spoons. Our little clan met up with one of my husband's coworkers who wanted to tag along since he was also spatula-less. Say that 5 times fast. Spatula-less, spatula-less, spatula-less, spatula-less, spatula-less...I can hardly type it. 



 
On our quest for a decently priced spatula we made our way past one of my favourite butcher shops FX Buckley Meats (a local chain).  I was planning on taking a shot of their gorgeous window display but they were virtually empty today but I did get a shot of their vivid cow and sheep's head mosaic outside the front door. These are the guys to go to if you want meat. Their window display is a treasure trove of different cuts from different animals. Fish is available too. If you want to push the boundaries of decency you can also buy a sheepskin rug to go with those lamb chops.




This was the menu from a pub we went to for a late lunch. Dubs eat lunch pretty late by Canadian standards; usually around 2pm and there was a game today so the pub was a little busy. I was looking forward to my meal until I read the below item on the menu. Cocktail sausages are not a main course...that's why they are called cocktail sausages and not maincourse sausages. Can you imagine being served a plate of steaming hot mini hotdogs and french fries? Sadness consumed me. All three of us ordered a cheeseburger. All my experiences with Irish made cheeseburgers have been a little disappointing and this one was no exception to the rule. Let's just say that it is no surprise that Burger King does so well here: they really fill a niche. I promised Craig's coworker a real bbq at our house shortly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment